Friday, July 19, 2013

The Metaphorical Swing

There are only 48 days until I leave for New York. This is only a little stop. I promise! Unless something happens to the plane.... Anyway! No bad thoughts! Shoo! Vanish! I'm starting to feel the nervousness when I think of leaving my family at the airport, meeting the other AFSers in New York, meeting even more AFSers in Rome, and finally meeting my Italian family.

It's truly moving and astonishing that I, and other people around my age, are taking this jump into a whole other culture. It's pretty terrifying in an exhilarating way. I did this as a kid and I still do this, but when you're swinging really high on the swing at the playground and you're really pumping your legs. There is this point where you have gone as high as you can on that swing and when you get to that point... You let go and fly. It's a rush for your little kid self. Your mom is screaming that you'll break your neck and your heart is pounding, but you love it and you want to do it again and again. This is how I feel. I'm working so hard to make this experience happen and I'm close to jumping off and flying.

I'm getting all teary eyed! So all of my fellow AFSers, I can't wait to take this jump with you and soar.


And I got my visa papers today! After all of the hard work of making an appointment, I will finally get my visa!

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I am looking forward to reading about your experiences! I am applying to spend a year in Italy next year and I am doing a lot of research. I see you are an african american girl, like me. Do you wear your hair natural? If so, what styles do you wear? Are the Italians curious about it and question your routines?

    ReplyDelete